Ask HN: Possible to Become a Part-Time Manager? (Project or Product)

Hello HN,

In short: Is there any way to become a part-time PM (or similar)?

You helped me tremendously getting my first properly paid and interesting full-time PM job at a bigger company (and luckily with little overtime, but part-time is probably no option).¹ I plan to do this job for at least a year (for vita, experience and money), but ultimately I want to work part-time.

I could easily live on my current salary (just with less savings) and want to have more free time for side-projects and a generally better work/life balance.

All I have right now is vague plans on how to find something part-time: I will stay on the lookout on job-offers, hoping for startups that can't afford full-time positions. Alternatively I thought of freelancing, but here the generalist qualities of a PM (project or product) might make it a bit harder to sell myself and I'm not the very best at networking either. And freelancing is never part-time, right? Should I apply for full-time positions and try to convince them of doing part-time?

With product management, or more precisely writing concepts and non-technical requirements I could imagine contract work. But I don't really know if this is a thing.

About me: 30yo; in Germany; OK with leaving the country for a while; with a slightly off masters degree;

If you got any ideas or took a similar path in the past, let me know! Thanks you :)

¹ http://ift.tt/2jATOxA (thank you so much for all the answers here)

from Hacker News: Front Page http://ift.tt/2EBsxco
via

Comments

Popular posts from this blog