Ask HN: Learning multiple languages vs. mastering one

Hi All. I am struggling to find/understand the best path to improve my knowledge/skills. I have a decent knowledge/experience in Java and now I am facing the dilemma either mastering Java or looking to other options to extend my programming language tool set mainly looking at: Javascript/Python/Scala/Kotlin/Elixir/Haskell/Swift.

I am interested in distributed system/data engineering and also in finding easily new well payed job. I know it's not possible to learning and master them all in a short time so I would like to pick 2. What I am struggling the most is how well to evaluate the language and get the best from it. Each time I pick one I end up giving up after 2 weeks as I always go back to Java.

The way I evaluate is simply by going to project euler and go through the problems from 1 to 20 then I don't know the next step to take from there. I find myself going through the crazy articles comparing languages and lose focus and give up.

Would be appreciated if you can share how you manage to focus on learning a new language or if it's worth at all learning/moving to a new language.

Update: forgotten also to ask what language do you advice and in 1/2 sentences why. thank you

from Hacker News: Front Page https://ift.tt/2xbhm6K
via

Comments

Popular posts from this blog