Ask HN: Looking to branch out into remote work, how to start

As the title suggest, I’m trying to learn more about remote work to find better opportunities than what is available to me locally. Where should I start? Any tips about where to look for work, how to make my resume attractive, what to look out for, etc. I’m not in a hurry to change, I want to learn what I can before and make an informed decision. I’m interested in a full-time job preferably as an employee.

I don’t know if it helps, but I’m a full-stack developer with 8 years of experience, located in Canada. Up-to-date with the latest web frameworks (React/Angular/Node.js/TypeScript) and have mostly worked with C# before that on enterprise software, with a bit of React Native on personal projects. Have worked in both back-end and web front-end projects depending on the need of my employer. My GitHub profile is pretty bleak, but I have personal projects that are public.

Also, will I need a work visa if I’m to be employed by a US company, even if I work from Canada? Do US companies typically hire you as a contractor or can you be employed as an employee? I’m asking because contractors usually have no benefits here, including holidays/vacation/sick days, insurance, company-paid parental leave and all other perks so it has a huge impact on effective salary.

from Hacker News: Front Page https://ift.tt/2wGKMtk
via

Comments

Popular posts from this blog