Ask HN: Bipolar is affecting my performance badly. Should I tell my employer?

This is a difficult topic to talk. Sadly, many people do not even talk, and many with bipolar disorder commit suicide.

I know what it is to be in the dark cycle of bipolar. Last week, some personal issues triggered me to go from highly optimistic to extremely pessimistic.

I don't know how to tell my employer that my mind in in another planet right now. I might loose might job since it has been 4 days I do not work (2 sick, 2 because of this).

The company is based in the US but fully remote. I am under a contract (and I am not US citizen), while values and culture is something that seemed to be important, recent weeks had been lots of changes and drama inside that I don't think anyone would be able to put even themselves in my place.

I am burnt out. Personally and professionlly. I am under therapy and well surrunded. But just need a week break.

Last but not least, the company has a "unlimited vacation policy" and they say they force employees to go into vacation. In my last year, no one told me how or when. I think because some internal problems that we need ship fast and soon (or company might go bankrupt) they forgot this, which is not helping.

Should I just ask for vacation in the middle of the fire that we have inside? (I would look terrible to my co-workers/team) Should I disclose I have bipolar? if so, how?

I personally don't think anyone how is unfamiliar with bipolar disorder has any idea how hard life can turn. Even the most mundane task, turns into a hell.

Thank you

from Hacker News: Front Page https://ift.tt/2JYR90N
via

Comments

Popular posts from this blog