Ask HN: I started a company in Japan but I'm in over my head

So, long story short, I invested 50k USD into incorporating a company in Japan (a 株式会社) and now I'm realising I probably don't have what it takes to make this work.

A bit of background: I've been in Japan since 2011, doing a mix of programming, studying and English teaching. I've never managed to keep a programming job longer than 6 months, so realistically I was mostly supported by English teaching.

I like living in Japan but I haven't been able to progress my career much. I thought maybe I would have better luck starting my own company so I paid an judicial scrivener to incorporate a company and I invested all my savings into it. Another reason for starting the company was to allow me to extend my visa.

Well, after starting the company at the start of this year I realise I was hopelessly naive. I haven't really managed to do anything (the same problem I had when I was working for other companies). I've only really managed to use my bank account recently. I've got lots of forms and paperwork that I'm supposed to file but I don't really know what its for or how to fill it in. I've very much in over my head.

I haven't managed to release any software or do any consulting.

What is my next step? I have honestly thought about suicide, or just fleeing the country. But I want to do the right thing, I don't want my actions to reflect badly on other foreigners in Japan.

Does anyone have any advice about what to do next, or how to avoid getting into scrapes like this in the future?

from Hacker News: Front Page https://ift.tt/2sYjpWN
via

Comments

Popular posts from this blog