Ask HN: How to get WebDev career on track from being homeless?

I am a current homeless web dev living in Portland, OR

I saw another post by a homeless dev in CO after doing some searches to see if there were others out there like me.

I got here due to medical issues that have finally come to being managed after 3 years.

I currently have zero cash, I am fairly new to Portland so I do not have friends and I have no family to lean on for support. I have 10 years of web dev experience, the last 3 years being very spotty; only a few contract jobs in and out.

I have a bed in a shelter for now.

I have tapped into the public health insurance so I can continue my medical visits.

I have food stamps.

I have a good laptop

I am often on a university campus using the library for charging and net.

My main problem is getting a job. This is where you come in HN community, please let me know what you all think or if you can relate.

My main languages are PHP and Python. I have extensive front end experience with Javascript as well.

No one is really looking for a PHP developer right now. And all the front end jobs want React/Redux experience or Angular. I have looked up and down on gigs and postings on Craigslist every single day.

Question: What do I do? All the recruiters think I am fit for a senior level position, but with 3 years of on and off programming I am a bit rusty and I am afraid if I apply and fail skills tests at too many places word will get around.

I really just want a relaxed junior level position, but those are hard to find. Everyone wants senior level guys in React and other frameworks I do not have. (Though I am currently teaching myself React and do know a good bit now.)

I just want to get my career back on track and get out of this shelter

Any advice for work, besides getting a min wage job. What do I do to get my web dev career back on track?

Thanks for any and all comments and my email is in my profile

from Hacker News: Front Page https://ift.tt/2OFLkon
via

Comments

Popular posts from this blog