Ask HN: What metaprogrammable language do you/would like to use?

Like many folks here, I probably spend too much time reading about, trying and contemplate using many new languages. The (overlapping) paradigms that interest me are metaprogramming, functional, and (newer) statically-typed. I decided to focus only on metaprogrammable ones from now on (as a time saver and to step up).

I made a list and ordered them by how much I would be interested in using them (which combines my curiosity with current/expected adoption).

My short-list for metaprogrammable ones are:

  Clojure
  Elixir
  Nim
  Crystal
  Rust (would be higher if I did more low-level work)
  Pony

I left most other functional ones off my list because that's an exploration in itself for another time. I was surprised that I put Clojure and Elixir first given my preference for static types. Of all the kitchen-sink features that Nim has, I can't accept camelCased == under_scored names otherwise it could have been first. Ruby is notably absent as I use it and am looking for something better/different.

For future adoption, I think interoperability is a key factor, whether it's with C or in a VM runtime (e.g. JVM, CLR, BEAM, v8).

Which metaprogrammable language do you use or are most interested in using? How compact are your programs (i.e. how extensive do you metaprogram)?


Comments URL: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=19718015

Points: 26

# Comments: 38



from Hacker News: Front Page http://bit.ly/2UzkTCk
via

Comments

Popular posts from this blog