Ask HN: Should I find a job or try to build a profitable project?

A little about me. I'm close to 30. I recently left my job, I was burnt out. I want to take 1-2 months for myself to reflect and figure out my next steps. I'm a software developer and I have been working with various small to medium software companies for the past 4-5 years. I currently live in a small city in the south (gf and I want to move to NYC or another big city). I can build CRUD apps from the ground up. I have around $60,000 saved and with my current bills, I have a runway of 1.5-2 years. My life goal is to build a successful business and entrepreneurship has been something I have always been interested in. However, I have never successfully built anything that gained traction, so I consider myself more of a wantrepreneur.

Options:

#1 Spend my time studying and finding a new job in NYC. I'm pretty confident that if I spend my time on leetCode and networking I will land a good job. I feel like this is the safe route.

#2 Spend my time pursuing a couple ideas I have. It's nothing new or innovating, a productivity app and a yelp like service working with small businesses. Reading all the content here is super motivating and inspiring, I feel like I could make these ideas work, but it's also super risky. I don't want to spend 1-2 years working on these ideas only to look up and realized I wasted my time and money.

#3 Some combination of both? I was thinking that I can pursue my side projects and look for a new job at the same time. However, I feel like having a clear focus on one thing is important.


Comments URL: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=20142545

Points: 6

# Comments: 4



from Hacker News: Front Page http://bit.ly/31kGlzz
via

Comments

Popular posts from this blog